( November 7, 2017, Colombo, Sri Lanka Guardian) Petitioner Gamini Senarath, the Chief of Staff of the former President Mahinda Rajapaksa yesterday gave an undertaking to the Supreme Court that he would cooperate with the Financial Crimes Investigation Division and the CID, in connection with an investigation into a public property abuse charge against him.
He said he would make a statement to the Magistrate’s Court of Colombo in respect of this charge.
Senarath, is suspected of diverting Rs. 4 billion to build a hotel at Hambantota, without Cabinet approval. Four billion rupees had been unlawfully taken from Rs. 18.5 billion approved by the Cabinet, to build another hotel named ‘Sino Lanka’, with Cabinet approval.
Senarath has filed a fundamental rights violation petition, requesting the court to restrain the FCID and CID from arresting him.
Deputy Solicitor General Thusith Mudalige, who appeared for the Attorney General said if the suspect would cooperate with the investigators, the need to arrest would not arise.
This petition will be next called before the Supreme Court on Nov. 17.
Two other suspects Neil Hapuhinne and J. Kudabalage have also filed similar fundamental rights violation petitions before the Supreme Court. They have said they will cooperate with the investigations and appear before the Magistrate on Nov. 9.
All three petitioners were named as directors of the new hotel to be constructed at Hambantota without Cabinet approval with public funds.
President’s Counsel Romesh de Silva appeared with Sudath Caldera, instructed by Sanath Wijewardene for the petitioners.
The bench comprised Justice Buwaneka Aluwihare, Justice Priyantha Jayawardena and Justice Anil Gooneratne.